It’s the least wonderful time of the year: tax season! But KFL and the volunteer tax preparation experts from AARP are here to help you get through it.
Tax Help Thursdays at the library return on Thursday, Feb. 2. Tax help is available every Thursday through April 13 from 9:30 a.m. to noon. Doors open and sign-ups begin at 9:30 a.m. and sign-ups are on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that, due to insurance regulations, we cannot allow patrons inside the building before the library is open.
Read on for details about what to bring with you, where to get forms, and other information.
What to bring:
- A copy of last year’s income tax return
- W-2 forms from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statement
- SSA-1099 form (if you were paid Social Security benefits)
- All 1099 forms showing interest and/or dividends and documents showing original purchase price of sold assets
- 1099-MISC form showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- Dependent care provider information
- All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
- Photo ID
- A check with printed bank information (if direct deposit of refund is requested)
- Health insurance coverage or exemption information
Getting tax forms and other materials:
Federal forms: KFL has a limited number of federal tax forms available for free. We have 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ forms, as well as a limited number of 1040 and 1040EZ instruction booklets. (Our supply of booklets is limited, and once they’re gone, they’re gone.) These forms are available at the adult circulation desk. You can also print additional forms at the library; a standard 10 cents per page rate applies for tax documents.
State forms: Maine Individual Income Tax Forms (1040ME) are available on the Maine state website. Click here to view, download, or print a Maine 1040ME form.
You can also print additional forms at the library; a standard 10 cents per page rate applies for tax documents.
You can contact the Revenue Services Department directly at 207-626-8475.
Other tax preparation sites: Many other libraries and organizations host AARP volunteer tax aides. You can find a complete list of local tax preparation sites by clicking here.
Other things to remember:
- No appointment is necessary for tax help. However, volunteers provide help on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The IRS has implemented new tax software this year. This software is very different from previous versions and may make the process move a little more slowly than in previous years. Please bring a sense of humor and patience.
- You do not need to be an AARP member to receive tax help!
Questions? You can contact the library at 207-985-2173. You can also contact AARP-Maine at 866-554-5380. And in the meantime, enjoy the unofficial theme song of tax season: