Our summer continues to be busybusybusy, what with our Community Read of William Golding’s Lord of the Flies, and the Children’s Summer Reading Program!
Without further ado:
- The second meeting of Sharks of Summer, a book group for students aged 8-12, will be on Monday, July 19th at 3:30pm. Pre-registration IS required for this program.
- Our 18th annual Pet Show will be Monday night, beginning at 6pm — pets must be current on all shots, leashed or caged, and accompanied by an adult and child. Dr. Ken Odrzywolski, D.V.M., will judge., and pre-registration IS required.
- Also on Monday at 6pm, our Crossover book discussion group will meet to talk about Siobhan Jasper Fforde’s The Eyre Affair. Next month we’ll be discussing John Green’s Paper Towns — swing by the library to place your copy on hold!
- Teddy Bear’s Picnic will be held on Tuesday, July 20th at 11:30am – that all-ages program will run every Tuesday at the same time through August 17th.
- A Hula Hoop Workshop with Jennifer Raymond will be held on Tuesday, beginning at 2:30pm. Pre-registration is required.
- The Beach Movie series continues on Tuesday at 6pm with a 1965 beach party classic that stars Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, with cameos by Don Rickles and Buster Keaton. Among other tunes, it features the song Beach Blanket Bingo.
- Portland Press Herald photographer Greg Rec will be here on Tuesday at 6:30pm to host a photography workshop: Focus Sea and Shore.
- We’re showing yet another Beach Movie on Wednesday night at 6pm. It’s Wes Anderson’s 2004 movie about Steve Zissou, a character who is both a parody of and a tribute to Jacques Cousteau. The ensemble cast stars Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, Anjelica Huston, Jeff Goldblum, Bud Cort, Owen Wilson and piles more. Rated R.
- Rhyme Time will continue on Thursday, July 22nd at 10:30am — that program will run every Thursday at the same time through August 12th.
- The Adult Book Group meets on this Thursday as well — at 11am — and this month they’re discussing William Golding’s Lord of the Flies.
- On Thursday at 2:30pm, the Children’s Room is holding a Beaded Frog Craft Program. Pre-registration is required.
- Thursday night at 7pm, historians Sharon Cummins and Barbara Barwise will be presenting an hour-long talk on Shipwrecks of the Kennebunks.
- On Friday, our Teen Gaming Club will meet as usual at 3pm.
- Lastly, a reminder: Our summer hours are in effect, so we’ll be closing at 1pm on Saturday, rather than 5pm.
If you’d like to receive email reminders about our programming, hop on over to our website to sign up — and please, do feel free to call the library at 985.2173 with any questions!